Bracken is a literary magazine born of the love of the woods and its shadows. Bracken is green and lush, coarse and delicate, drinks from the earth, and spreads underground, more root than frond. Bracken is understory, invades, takes over, shades and protects. We seek poetry, short fiction, and art that will root, tender and tough, in us.
Before you submit, please familiarize yourself with what we publish by reading our past issues. To find out what our editors want, read the interviews with Alina Rios and Jed Myers (part 1 and part 2) .
We support diversity and welcome work by and about individuals of all ages, classes, disabilities, ethnicities, genders, nationalities, races, religions, and sexual orientations.
Bracken purchases first North American and electronic serial rights. Each story or poem we acquire will be published on brackenmagazine.com in an electronic issue. We may also excerpt stories and poems for promotional purposes. The author retains all other rights.
Simultaneous submissions are considered. We just ask that you let us know promptly if your piece has been accepted elsewhere. For a poetry submission, to withdraw individual poems, leave us a note in Submittable. To withdraw all poems in a submission, withdraw the submission.
We don't publish reprints.
We aim to respond within 30 days, but life often intervenes. If you haven't heard from us in two months, please query by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply, please familiarize yourself with Bracken by reading a few of our issues.
Bracken is looking for a new Managing Editor. This editor will work closely with our Co-Managing Editor and have the following responsibilities:
- Project management—Determine issue publication timelines and make adjustments as we go, assign tasks and keep everyone on track, keep all the relevant issue information organized and easily accessible, manage contracts, and pay contributors.
- Communication—Triage and answer emails that come into our inbox.
- Submittable administration—Add and remove users, create and manage forms, troubleshoot issues.
- Social media branding—Update background and profile images on all of our social media platforms.
- Duotrope updates—Manage updates to the branding and content of Bracken’s Duotrope listing.
Bracken is looking for a Communications Editor. This editor will enhance Bracken’s social media presence and reach. They will also write and post/send out blog posts and newsletters. Must be comfortable with advanced features of Twitter/Facebook/Instagram, as well as Mailchimp and Squarespace’s Blog function.
Please include a relevant (prose/newsletter/blog post) writing sample with your application.
Bracken is looking for a Web Editor. This editor must be our website guru. They are excited about continuing the aesthetic evolution of Bracken.
They must be:
- Skilled in Squarespace.
- Skilled in Photoshop, enough to do layered work.
- Able to take a cover image and layer Bracken’s branding on it.
- Able to create social media branding imagery for each issue.
Note: This work is “seasonal” in nature. It requires intensive 2-3 week focus twice a year with little to no work in-between.
Please include links to relevant examples of your work.
- All positions are presently volunteer-based.
- You can apply for more than one position.
- We’re taking applications as they come in. If the position is still listed, we haven’t filled it.
- All positions are remote. You can be located anywhere in the world and be a Brackeneer.
- We’re hoping you can jump in with us as soon as you’re offered a position.
- If you have any questions about these positions, email email@example.com.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- We review the applications as they come.
- If we’re interested, we will reach out and enter into a dialogue with you over email.
- If we think it’s a true possibility, we will schedule a Skype/Facetime/Zoom interview.